LA Resources

LA Resources
TPT LANGUAGE ARTS RESOURCES

Free

Free
TPT FREE RESOURCES

Digital

Digital
TPT DIGITAL RESOURCES

Sticky Note Writing Checklists


My friends and family can let you in on a well-known secret: I am obsessed with coffee with peppermint mocha creamer, Flair pens, Astrobright papers, and Post-it notes. Those moments where I can work on a task that incorporates all four of these things makes me ridiculously giddy. Whether I am grading essays, setting up the family budget, or lesson planning, just give my essential four and we are good to go!

This quirky obsession actually created a delightful morning of grading my 7th graders' rough draft essays of The Giver the other day. Coffee in hand and Flair pen at the ready, I was ready to tackle the daunting stack, but I was missing one thing - my Writing Checklist Post-it notes! I rushed to my desk to print off a set, and let me tell you, it took less than four minutes to run off these colorful little beauties! The wonders of being organized.



With these Sticky Notes Writing Checklists all you do is print the base template for your 3x3 Post-It notes. I print my templates on cardstock for durability since I use them so often. I have a stack in a file folder near my desk so they are handy at all times. Simply line up the Post-It notes inside of the square and you are ready to print. It may take a bit of trial and error to line up the Post-its correctly, but the beauty of Post-it notes is that they can easily be repositioned. Once you get the hang of it, the whole process goes really quickly. 


Once the Post-it notes are organized and stuck on the template, you are are ready to print. Before you start printing off your sets, make sure you know how your printer feeds! Run a test paper through to see of it prints on the top or bottom of the page. It is incredibly frustrating to have a page all set up only to run it through the printer and have the checklists print on the back or the bottom of the Post-it note upside down.


I always print off enough for at least one class set, but since I have a student teacher for the next two months, a goal of mine is to have class sets of Post-it note writing checklists for each of the major essays my classes will be writing first semester ready to go. Once the checklists are printed, I simply grab an essay (Flair pen in hand), read the introduction, take note to see if all the major parts are addressed and check "yes" or "No" on the Post-it checklist, then peel off the checklist and adhere it to the introduction of the essay. I repeat this process for each body paragraph and the conclusion. It really cuts down on the marginalia comments I have to make, and it helps students focus on the areas of organization that need to be addressed before a final draft is submitted. 



Grab your own set of Sticky Notes Writing Checklists for free [here].
If you use them in your classroom, I would love for you to share a picture! Either email me [here] or tag me on Instagram @torigorosave.


No comments