LA Resources

LA Resources
TPT LANGUAGE ARTS RESOURCES

Free

Free
TPT FREE RESOURCES

Digital

Digital
TPT DIGITAL RESOURCES

Teacher Toolbox DIY


Make it Monday! Teacher's Toolboxes are one of my favorite projects. I always make a new one for incoming teachers to my grade level and department. I like this one so much though, I am not sure I can give it away!

I am a bit late to the pineapple craze that has been sweeping Instagram and Pinterest, but I have to say that this pineapple tropical themed Teacher's Toolbox is hands down one of my favorites. I am in love with the vibrant colors and watercolor look of the labels. Just looking at it makes me happy!
I purchased my toolbox from Lowes ($16.98). Amazon sells them also, but they are almost $5 more for the exact same thing.

Here are the steps I follow to complete a teacher's toolbox.

The first thing I did was spray paint the toolbox. It is a shiny blue plastic in its original form, and that definitely does not go well with a tropical theme! I used a canary yellow gloss spray paint from Lowes. The spray paint is a primer and paint in one, so the coverage was easy. 


I set the freshly painted toolbox in front of our floor fan downstairs for an hour after it dried outside for 20 minutes. Because its a gloss (or because it is so flipping hot outside during summer in SoCal), the paint was a bit tacky after drying outside. Drying the toolbox in front of the floor fan allowed it to fully harden and the shiny yellow was worth the hour wait.

I printed my labels off in color on regular white paper, and then just cut them out. I didn't laminate mine because I was able to use clear packing tape to secure the labels to the front of each tray. 

 





The 3M clear packing tape was the perfect width to cover the label, and it looks like the label is laminated. The tape also made it really easy to reposition a label in case it looked crooked or off center. I have tried numerous types of adhesive for toolboxes, and the clear packing tape is by far my favorite. I also recommend securing the labels to the front of the trays so that the color pops.
Here is the finished product:


I am super excited to put this beauty to use in my classroom, umm, I mean give it to the new 7th grade Social Studies teacher! ;) 


[Click here to view and download the labels
from my TpT store.]

[Click here to view and download a fun
watercolor set of labels from my TpT store.]

[Click here to view and download my best seller,
Teal and Wood, set of labels from my TpT store.]




1 comment

  1. I love it! Thank you! I'll be hoppin' over to Lowe's this week! Yay!

    ReplyDelete